Thursday, July 17, 2014

New All Time Low Weigh In!

I am happy to report that I have a new all time low!  Woo hoo!  I weighed in this morning at 143.8
That is .4 lower than my previous low of 144.2 so I am super happy.  I am hoping to get a little lower before the weekend.  My birthday is on Sunday and I'm having my family over Friday night for a Miche party and birthday celebration.  So I bought all my favorites at the store.  I have pretzel crisps, I love all the flavors but Wal-Mart had the buffalo and the everything flavors in larger bags so I bought those two.  The buffalo flavor is my all time favorite but the everything and original flavors are the best for dipping in hummus.  I do have some hummus, and I am going to make my most favoritest of dips: Artichoke dip.  I have a great recipe out of a Longaberger cook book.  My mom used to be a consultant so I have quite a bit of their stuff that she has bought me over the years.  I love it!  I am also going to make the pampered chef recipe for cool veggie pizza as a healthier dish.  And of course, the cake with home made frosting.  My mom is allergic to gluten so I bought a gluten free cake mix.  So much easier than messing around with making one from scratch, but I'm making my favorite chocolate cream cheese/buttercream frosting to go with it.  I will take pictures of all of it tomorrow and post some recipes.  Saturday Matt is taking me out to lunch and then I think I want to go to Cold Stone.  We NEVER go to cold stone since it is so expensive, and I love their ice cream, so that would be awesome.  Sunday is my actual birthday so we will just have to see how that goes.  I'm going to try to eat light for most of the day to help offset the treats I will be eating. 

This morning I put peanut butter in my oatmeal with unsweetened coconut milk so I could have a little energy boost for my workout, and it was pretty good!  Definitely different.  I also zested a few lemons and squeezed them, mixed the lemon juice and zest together to keep to add to my yogurt to flavor it.  I put some of the lemon mix and some splenda (I know, splenda isn't the best but I have a big bag of it that I'm using up and then I will be switching to something healthier, maybe date sugar or stevia) and it was AMAZING!  I am totally psyched about making my own yogurt, it's going to save a lot of money!  I just need to get the larger rock crock so I can do a whole gallon at a time instead of doing a half gallon. 

Since Matt was working again tonight and didn't get home until later, I have continued my plan of eating my dinner for lunch and eating lightly for dinner when he is not going to be home for dinner.  That way I eat fewer calories in the evening.  Today I made one of my very favorite meals: Curried Chicken with Couscous.  I will post the original recipe below but here are some of the things I do to make it a little healthier:
1. I use light coconut milk instead of original coconut milk
2. I don't add butter to the couscous
3. I cook my couscous in my left over Whey from making my Greek Yogurt when I have it, otherwise just cook it in chicken broth like the recipe says.
4. I use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, makes it taste better too since you are adding the coconut milk!



Curried Chicken with Couscous

Ingredients
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 medium carrots
1 medium onion
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 can (13.5oz) coconut milk
Couscous
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/3 cup uncooked plain couscous (or one 10oz box)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro (or 2 tsp dried cilantro)

Directions
1. For chicken, cut chicken into 1 inch pieces.  Lightly spray skillet with vegetable oil.  Heat skillet over medium high heat until hot.  As skillet heats, combine salt and pepper and season chicken with half of the black pepper mixture.  Cook chicken until golden brown and no longer pink inside.  Remove chicken from skillet

2. As chicken cooks, peel carrots, cut in half length lengthwise, then thinly slice on a bias (or just grab your food chopper and chop away it's so much faster).  Cut onion in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2 inch wedges.

3. Add oil to skillet, saute carrots and onions 5 minutes or until crisp-tender stirring occasionally.  Stir curry powder, raisins, coconut milk, and remaining pepper mixture into skillet.  Add chicken, simmer 3-5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.

4. Meanwhile, for couscous, add couscous and broth into pot and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat, add butter and cilantro, cover and let sit 5 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition facts (without any modifications): Calories: 660 Total Fat: 23  Carbohydrate: 72 Protein: 38 Fiber: 6g

A lot of the fat comes from the butter in the couscous along with the carbohydrate, Also using light coconut milk will help a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment