Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Weekend Vacation

We had a great weekend vacation, I wish we could get away more.  It's about four hours out to the Ranch, and that is a bit long for the kids so there is inevitably always fussing.  Usually we can get the kids to sleep for about half of it.  Chloe woke up way too early on the drive out though and had a bit of a fit.  Turns out she was just really hungry because she hadn't eaten much earlier in the day and it was getting pretty late.  We usually eat dinner around 5:30 and it was coming up on 7pm.  She munched on the bag of Munchies Cheese Fix that I had brought (whenever we go on vacation and have to ride in the car a long time I always crave two things: Munchies Cheese Fix and Beef Jerky.  I never eat those things any other time.)  She was feeling much better after she downed half the bag, no big surprise then that she didn't eat much of her actual dinner.  We always stop at this little Thai place that is along the way and I always get the pad Thai.  It's the best I've ever had.  It's kind of weird because the food changes every time we go there.  Sometimes the noodles are thin, sometimes wide, sometimes it's spicy and sometimes not spicy at all.  The kids always get chicken fingers and the chicken and the french fries change too.  It's really weird, but the food is always great. 

We arrived at the ranch fairly late, it was almost 9pm and the kids got to bed around 10:30, that definitely put a damper on the rest of the trip because that made them very tired.  Despite that they were up and ready to go the next day at 6:30.  They love hiking around, Lily picks up rocks and stacks them on top of each other.  She calls them her cities.  Chloe picks up rocks and pine cones and sticks.  They were pretending they were fishing poles.  Chloe also stopped at every single poop she found, which was a lot because my in-laws allow cows to graze on the property (for the tax deduction) so poop is everywhere.  I've never seen a kid so fascinated by poop as Chloe is.  Saturday was the big day for being active.  I went on several walks with the kids and then late morning My Father in Law and I went for an open water swim to train for our triathlon!
The water was in the mid 60s and my hands and feet were a little chill.  Putting my face in the water at first was definitely a shock but I was toasty warm in my super awesome triathlon wetsuit!  The water was really high from all the rain we have been having and it was full of debris.  I had to keep spitting out little sticks and junk that was kind of gross, but I grew up boating at Pueblo Reservoir so it didn't really bother me much.  I forgot how the water temperature is spotty,  Warm in some places and cold in others.  It really took me back to my childhood.  I loved swimming in the lake.

Later that day, after getting some rest and some lunch and walking around more with the kids, we went on a mountain bike ride!  We biked about 7 miles and it took a little over an hour.  It took 50 minutes to get to the top which was about 3.5 miles.  I'm thinking that as far as a time goal for the tri that it would be 30 mintues for the swim, 1 hour for the bike and 30 minutes for the run totaling 2 hours as a goal time... But that doesn't include transition times.  I'm not really sure what to have as an overall goal since I've never done one before.
Sunday was a much more relaxed day, we rode the ATVs more that day and did less hiking.  Everyone was pretty tired on Sunday and we came home that evening.  I was trying to keep the kids awake until we got in the car but failed.  Which meant that the kids were awake for the car ride home and that was more frustrating, I was really hoping they would sleep the whole way back. 

Yesterday was a rest day, I didn't even get to the gym.  The kids were all out of wack from the weekend.  My eating yesterday was terrible.  I've been having a rough two weeks with eating, so I know that when I weigh in on Saturday I will be up.  Which stinks since I've stuck to my training schedule.  It seems like it is always so incredibly easy to gain weight and so hard to lose weight.  The past 5 weeks I have had a weekly calorie defaecate of about 7,500 calories and I have only been losing one pound or less a week!  That should be enough for a 2 pound loss.  And then if you overeat for three days you've gained five pounds!  It's stupid and I hate it.  I hate the whole thing, it's cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.  

But enough of that.  I am working to get back on track with my eating.  Today was better, but not perfect.  I did run for 45 minutes today, my longest run ever and I felt really good, despite my bad eating day yesterday and for the past two weeks.  Tomorrow will be Zumba and I have to get a swim in as well. 


1 comment:

  1. I love your analogy of life, and your play by play
    way to keep your mind and goals at the forefront despite the frustrations life throws your way

    ReplyDelete