Thursday, August 7, 2014

Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Bread

So I am doing very well so far with my challenge.  (Admittedly it is the end of the first week, so I sure hope I am still doing well!)  I love that I don't have any forbidden food and I really am taking that to heart.  Before when I was on weight watchers they always said that there was no food that was off limits or forbidden, but I would always try not to eat things I loved like desserts and chips and all that yummy stuff.  Of course that lead to my yo yo eating where I would scarf everything in sight after about 5 days of following the plan.  Yesterday I made peanut butter, chocolate chip, chick pea cookies and I made sure to keep track of how many I ate and track everything I ate.  I loved it!  I was able to have my healthier cookies, but they are still sweet and since I have had other sweet stuff recently and I knew I was going to be making Zucchini bread today, I didn't feel like I had to eat as much as I could before it was off limits again. 

Anyway, our garden grew its very first zucchini and we picked it this morning.  Lily gave a huge shout for joy when she picked it and I should have gotten a picture of her holding it, but I was making breakfast so oh well.  Now, I have a great recipe from my taste of home cookbook, but it is not friendly towards this challenge.  So!  My best friend Google helped me find a healthier recipe and it can be found on this site HERE.

This recipe makes two loaves so you can half it, or freeze it, or just eat it if you have a larger family!
Ingredients
3 eggs
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup honey
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
3/4 cups cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (original recipe uses raisins, but I like chocolate chips in my bread much more)

Instructions
1. preheat oven to 350 deg
2. In a large bowl, mix eggs, coconut oil, honey, zucchini, and vanilla
3.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cacao, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix well
4. Stir in chocolate chips, pour into loaf pans (make sure to grease and flour your loaf pans).  Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. (Mine was perfect at 35 minutes)






















No comments:

Post a Comment