Sunday, August 17, 2014

How Will I know when I am done?

Throughout this past year my vision of my health, weight, and physic has grown and changed.  I have learned that the ultimate goal is not just tied to a number on the scale.  It is about percentage of body fat, how much muscle you have, how you feel physically, the kinds of food you are eating and your overall health.  So lately one of the things I have been pondering is "how will I know that I have reached the end of my weight loss journey and I am ready to switch to maintenance."  Once I reach that ideal I want to start another round of Chalean Extreme and switch from weight loss mode to building strength and toning.  I once thought I wasn't going to stop until I was somewhere around 121-125.  A number picked based on my BMI and the fact that when I was a freshmen in high school I weighed somewhere around 125.  I think I have mentioned before that my mom is an inch taller than me and her weight usually fluctuates around 115-125 so of course she thinks that I should be somewhere around 115.  But these are all numbers, and I would rather be 130 pounds with muscle and strength to play with the kids and make my life easier than 115 and nothing but bones.  So I have discovered a fool proof method to knowing when I have reached the end of my weight loss journey.  I don't think I will ever be able to look at myself naked in the mirror and say "this is it, I am done".  I think I will always see the problem areas in my body, especially after having two babies and losing so much weight. 

So here is the answer:
These are my most favorite pair of pants I have ever owned.  I wore these in my Freshmen/Sophomore year of High school.  Can you tell they came out of the late 90s? ;-)
Anyway, when these pants fit comfortably then I will know that I have reached the end of my journey.  All these long years I have kept these pants because I loved them so much and every time I have set out to lose weight I have ultimately wanted to fit into these pants again.  Never have I actually achieved that goal.  So there it is, a goal to know when I am done that is not tied to a number on the scale or a number on a tape measure.  Something that I can be proud of, a goal that has eluded me for 13 years.  One day, I will be able to wear these pants and proudly proclaim, "I did it, I have reached the end of my weight loss journey".  I am hoping that day will come at the end of this three month focus challenge, but if it does not, I will keep trying, keep looking forward, keep progressing as I have done all this year.  It took me eight months to lose 10 pounds!  But that is 10 more pounds than I had lost at the beginning of the year.  I have now taken these pants out of the bag I stashed them in and put them in my drawer.  Hopefully when the weather turns cold again I will be able to put them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment