It is not very often that I make a new recipe and take one bite and am blown away by how good it tastes but these two recipes did just that! They were so amazingly good and are definitely being added to my list of frequent recipes to make now. So without further ado:
Toasted Angel Hair with Sausage and Peppers- original recipe from Pampered Chef
Serves 8: 430 calories per serving
1 lb hot Italian Sausage (if you want to half the fat in this recipe use chicken sausage instead)
2 medium red bell peppers
1 lb uncooked angel hair pasta
3 garlic cloves, pressed
5 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup fresh basil, divided (I used 2 tbsp dried and it tasted amazing)
1 oz Parmesan cheese
1. Place sausage into skillet. Cook over medium heat or until no longer pink (chicken sausage comes already cooked so in this case just chop up the chicken sausage and place in skillet until heated through). Break sausage into crumbles using any method desired (mix n' chop, food chopper, knife, etc)
2. As sausage cooks, slice off tops and bottoms of bell peppers; remove and discard seeds and stems. Finely chop tops and bottoms using a food chopper or knife. Remove and discard seeds and ribs from sides of peppers, then slice into thin julienne strips
3. Remove chicken from sausage and set aside. Add pasta to skillet and toast 8-10 minutes stirring after each 2 minute interval. Press garlic over pasta and add broth, all the peppers and cooked sausage. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer vigorously 5-6 minutes or until pasta is tender.
4. As pasta simmers, chop basil, reserving half for garnish. When pasta is tender, remove from heat and stir in remaining basil.
5. To serve, divide pasta mixture among serving bowls, grate cheese over pasta and garnish with reserved basil
Nutrition facts: 430 calories, 20g fat, 45g carbs, 20g protein, 3g fiber (again, using chicken sausage will almost half the amount of fat in this recipe)
Brussels Sprouts with dried Cranberries and Lemon: serves 4-original recipe from Weight Watchers
10 oz brussels sprouts
1/2 cup dried cranerries
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Trim the tough outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts; slice off the stem end and cut in half
2. Steam sprouts in desired method: microwave or stove top
3. Combine the cranberries, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl, mix well.
4. Add Brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Serve hot or at room temp.
nutrition facts: 118 cal, 5g fat, 19g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g protein