Monday, May 18, 2015

Running and Zumba

As luck would have it, I ended up having a 45 minute chunk of time to kill in the evening.  I thought I would have Chloe with me at this time but Matt got home early and she was able to stay home.  Good thing too because she has been really fussy all afternoon regardless of her nap.  Lily has an extra dance practice tonight to prepare for the performance on Wednesday night.  I guess after the disastrous outcome of the last performance she decided they needed some extra practice.  (Last time there was a kid crying through the whole thing and only a few of the kids were doing what they were supposed to be.  Most were just standing around looking confused).  Hopefully this one goes a little more smoothly.  Anyway, here I am at the gym and Chloe is at home.  I came this morning and ran 25 minutes and did Zumba toning after that.  I was thinking of swimming, but I just ate at 5:15 and got here at 5:30 and figured that would probably be a bad idea.

My run this morning went well.  Much better than the first 25 minute run I did.  That might be because I did the run second last time and this time I did the run first, but then again the first time I go up in running time is always difficult.  My heart rate gradually rose throughout the workout.  It went from 155 near the beginning to 178 by the end, which is only a little lower than 181 of last time.  But I am glad it was lower, again I am not sure if that is due to putting my running first instead of last.  I burned a ton of calories though.  395 calories for 35 minutes!  That was with a 5 minute walking warm up and a 5 minute walking cool down and 25 minutes of jogging at 6mph.  I'm working my way up!  I have one more run at 25 minutes then I go up to 28 for two times then 30 minutes which is a full 5k which is as far as I have ever raced before.  Then it is into uncharted territory with running longer than 30 minutes.  It seems so crazy to me!

After my run I went into Zumba toning, but the regular teacher was gone.  The sub was good, but she did a lot of different moves and killed my shoulders, which I suppose from a workout perspective was good because I am getting more variation and it was so much harder!  But I do like the regular instructor more.  Maybe if I took the sub's class more often I would like it better as my arms got stronger in the areas she really works.  I didn't think I was pushing myself too hard but I still managed to burn 530 calories in 55 minutes!  There have been several times I have taken a Zumba class and only burned 380 calories because I wasn't really trying.

In other news Lily got her hair cut today.  She has been complaining that her hair is too long.  She doesn't like to brush it.  We cut it into a bob, which I thought was still a little long but we will see how she does with it.  I was thinking of getting her a pixie cut but Matt wasn't on board and the hair stylist said her hair was too thin and putting a pixie cut on her would make her look too much like a boy.  So I suppose the bob was a better choice.
She did great, I was really surprised.  She was so excited to get her hair cut shorter so it wouldn't get so tangled and it would be easier to brush her hair.

Tomorrow I am going to be doing a swim and a run.  I'm trying to wait as long as I can before I bike again because my butt still hurts from sitting on the seat!  Wednesday will be another swim and Zumba and I haven't decided if I will take Thursday off yet, we will see how the kids are doing but I will either finish up with the bike on Thursday or Friday.  Friday is Zumba, but we are also supposed to be leaving on our mini vacation (to the ranch near Gunnison, nothing extravagant) Friday afternoon and I might need to use the morning to pack and get ready.  It always seems to take forever to get everything ready.  

No comments:

Post a Comment