Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Lessons

So I made a mistake on Monday and I definitely learned a lesson from it.  On Monday I went to the gym to do my Zumba toning class.  I love that class, and I had a great time.  Right after Zumba toning I was feeling really good and there was a Zumba class starting right after my class, in the same room.  So I stayed for the Zumba class.  Totaling 2 hours of cardio with no breaks and no refueling in between.  All I ate for breakfast was my normal breakfast of eggs and potatoes.  I walked out of the Zumba class utterly exhausted.  I had zero energy.  The Zumba class was great fun but the last half was really tough because I was just tired.  I crashed, and I didn't get my energy back for the rest of the day.  After the two hours I took a shower and ate a quest bar because that is what I had, and then I went home and ate and ate and ate.  I was starving.  I ate my lunch and my stomach was pretty full but I was still feeling hungry, probably because I didn't fuel myself properly for exercising for two hours and I didn't refuel afterwards properly.  So I ate some cookies.  Then I was just so tired the rest of the day.  It reminded me of how I felt all the time before starting Whole 30.  Killing myself in the gym, not eating properly and then feeling tired and like I just want to sleep the rest of the day.

Lesson learned.  Do not do a bunch of unexpected exercise without proper fueling.  If I'm going to do a double class at the gym I will have to bring something to eat inbetween, or make sure I am eating something that provides energy right before and right after.  Like almond butter.  I have discovered that my body reacts really well to Almond butter when I am exercising.  I love to eat it right before a workout, it helps me keep my energy levels up.  It's what I ate at the triathlon inbetween my events.

The rest of the day was wasted since I ate poorly the rest of the day and was so tired.  When I get very tired I tend to eat, and it's usually snacky food.  So I had popcorn and cookies, which is of course the most nutritious dinner and snacks.  Yesterday I was recovering from Monday.  I was tired and grumpy and felt kind of sick all day.  That is what happens to me when I don't eat well.  When I stick to my Whole 30 plan I feel great, when I deviate from it I usually REALLY deviate. That tends to be my pattern.  I can't just eat one cookie, no I go all out and then I'm stuck feeling like crap for the next 48 hours.

Today I'm finally feeling better and I think I'm just going to do HIIT 15 today, and hit the gym tomorrow.  We have lots of things planned for today.  I'm taking the kids to the park this morning for playgroup so I'm going to miss my Zumba class, hence the HIIT 15 plan.

I made this recipe for breakfast this morning.  It was pretty easy and it is something different.  It has apples mixed in with the sweet potatoes.  I never would have thought of that!
http://www.ourpaleolife.com/recipe/eggs-nest/

http://www.ourpaleolife.com/recipe/eggs-nest/

I didn't have any bacon crisps to put on top so I ate it with just the potatoes and eggs.  It was a welcome change to my normal routine!  I'm trying to find some new recipes since that is how I cook.  I am not one of those people who can just make up their own recipes or throw a bunch of food together and make it taste good.  I'm a recipe follower.  Tonight we are having grilled steaks, I looked up a marinade recipe and I'm going to grill some potatoes and make some veggies.  That is about as close to cooking without recipes that I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment