Monday, November 4, 2013

Rough Start to the Week

Yesterday I fell down the stairs while I was taking a whole bunch of things downstairs to clear off the kitchen table.  I always find it interesting how time can slow down and indeed it seemed like I was watching in slow motion and complete shock as my brand new Pampered Chef stoneware, lap top computer, and various notebooks tumbled down the stairs.  In fact I was so focused on my computer that I was already halfway down the stairs on my butt before my brain registered the fact that I was also sliding down the stairs.  Fortunately, I wasn't going head over heals.  I slipped because I was wearing regular socks instead of my house socks with the grippers on them or my slippers.  Believe me that is a mistake I do not intend to repeat.  I had forgotten to change my socks after coming home earlier in the day.  Anyway, I fell on my left hip, bruising it pretty badly.  I also banged up my left forearm.  Fortunately nothing is broken, but I am incredibly achy on my left side today and I can't walk without pain.  Last night was difficult as I could only sleep on my stomach because every other position hurt too much, and getting out of the bed to take care of Lily and Chloe (both woke up last night) in the middle of the night was torture. 

I am thankful that the fall wasn't worse.  I could have been hurt bad, but I mostly just slid down the stairs on my butt.  Even more amazing is that my computer is okay, and because my stoneware was still in the box, it didn't break!  The box is all crumpled up but the stone is fine.  I am super thankful for that.  However, I am bummed out that I won't be able to exercise for a few days.  I really wanted to drop below 160 this week and I don't think I can do that without exercise, but it is more important that I let my body heal, so I will just have to play it day by day and really focus on my eating this week.

Last night we had the missionaries over and Matt wanted Hamburgers and French Fries.  I use my Pampered Chef french fry wedger  on my potatoes, add a little olive oil, some salt and then bake them in the oven at 425 deg for 30 minutes.  It makes for a much healthier version of french fries instead of actually frying them.  I skipped the cheese on my hamburger and had onions, tomatoes, pickles, and spinach.  So I only had about 4 oz ground beef and the hamburger bun and about 1-2 tbsp of BBQ sauce to count.  I also opened a few cans of baked beans.  Chloe loved the beans!  She was super cute eating her beans.  Actually, yesterday I didn't bother counting points since it was fast Sunday.

This morning I was supposed to make the amazing banana quinoa waffles that I found in our church cookbook, but we didn't have enough bananas.  So I made Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes from weight watchers.  You can find the recipe here: http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=381901

It is 5 points for two pancakes, I ate 3, which they say is 8 points.  Plus one point for the maple syrup and 3 points for milk so I had a large point breakfast for a total of 12 points.  That is about 3 points more than I usually eat for breakfast.  I also put some protein powder into the pancake mix (2 tbsp in half the mix after I cooked up some pancakes for Matt) so that I could satisfy the combination of complex carbs and protein that I am striving to eat at every meal.  So my points might be a little higher, maybe an extra point for the protein powder.  I was using a protein sample package so there is no nutrition info on it so that is going based off of what I could find for protein powder on Weight Watchers which is remarkably unhelpful since the measurements are in scoops and ounces instead of TBSP and tsp and cups.

After dropping the car off at the repair shop to get the breaks done and going to Costco to stock up on frozen veggies, fruits, fresh fruits, diapers, and various other necessities, and after getting the surprise phone call informing us that our back breaks aren't working and our $100 break job just turned into $600 repair job (we knew something was up because we were replacing the front brakes about every three to four months.  Makes sense now) it was time for lunch.  So I had to put all the groceries away, cut up strawberries for Chloe, make some spaghetti noodles with Parmesan cheese for Lily, heat up french fries and leftover hamburger meat for Matt and finally after all that I made myself a delicious 5 point salad.  My salad consisted of spinach leaves (0 points) topped with 3 oz steak (3 points) 1 T sunflower seeds (1 point) 1 T chopped walnuts (1 point), strawberries (0 points), and balsamic vinegar (0 points).  That way I get my protein from the steak, my complex carbs from the spinach and strawberries and my essential fatty acids from the walnuts and sunflower seeds.  It's awesome!  A complete meal all packaged up in pure deliciousness.

Now it is about 3pm and I am really wanting to eat some junk food, but I know that I have to eat healthy and really focus on eating within my points this week if my exercise level is going to be low.  So I age an orange for a snack and I will have left over sesame chicken for dinner with some vegetables adding about another 12 points and rounding out the day at about 29 points.  I am allowed 32 points but I am trying to go under that in preparation for dropping 7 points here pretty soon.  I am not focusing on it or worrying about staying under and in fact most days I am right at or slightly above my allotted points, but it is in the back of my mind.  About two more months now and I will have to drop those points when Chloe stops nursing.  Besides that, I am getting in less exercise than I would even on a day I don't exercise because I am really in a good deal of pain from falling down the stairs. 

Well, that is all for now, lets hope my kids go to bed early!

No comments:

Post a Comment