Thursday, December 5, 2013

Herbalife Day 4- Switch it up

Now that I am on day four, I am a little bit wiser and a little better for it.  This morning I had my shake as usual and I added an egg white omelet with tomatoes and onions and a little bit of Parmesan cheese on top for 100 calories.  Exercising this morning was easier than Monday, probably due to the extra boost from my omelet.  I used Sworkit for the first 20 minutes (Full Cardio setting) and then finished up with Zumba for the last 40 minutes.  It was great to get a variation in my exercise routine. 

I switched up my snacks today because yesterday I still had an energy slump in the afternoon.  I realized that Greek yogurt is great for keeping me satisfied and staving off hunger, but it does not provide much energy for me.  So I ate my yogurt after my exercise and I saved my peanut butter and whole wheat bread snack for an energy boost in the afternoon.  This worked remarkably well.  I am happy to say that although my energy did decrease in the afternoon (that is my usual bad spot) it was not as severe as the past several days.  I was still able to play with the kids and didn't feel like I needed to go lie down.  So a lesson learned, eat something containing energy (carbs) in the early afternoon and it will help me get through my mid-afternoon slump.

I have to mention that I put 2 TBSP of PB2 in my chocolate shake this afternoon and it was simply divine!  I love chocolate and peanut butter and the combination makes the shake taste like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup!  And all for only 45 extra calories since PB2 is roasted, pressed peanuts where 85% of the fat and oil has been removed.  It's a great way to get peanut flavoring without all the added fat. 

Tonight I ate dinner at a church activity that I went to, but Matt was coming home right around 6pm and I didn't want him to be out all day and come home to no dinner, besides he would just ask me to make him something as soon as he got home anyway.  So I decided to jump the gun and make Thai Lettuce Wraps for him before he came home and asked what there was to eat for dinner.  (This recipe is on the eating healthy menu and I was planning on making it for myself as well but that was before I remembered I would be eating at the church activity).  This recipe was amazingly simple, but I have to warn you that the fish sauce is very strong.  I would half the fish sauce in this recipe, it was very strong and I kept smelling fish sauce for the next hour and a half (until I actually ate my dinner).  Here is the recipe:
Thai Beef Lettuce Wraps
That is PB2 sprinkled on top instead of peanuts (we didn't have peanuts)



 Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound ground sirloin
  • 1 tablespoon sugar $
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 8 large green cabbage leaves
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
Preparation
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. 
2. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, sugar, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a large bowl. Add beef mixture, onion, and cilantro; toss well. Place 2 cabbage leaves on each of 4 plates; divide beef mixture evenly among leaves. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts. 


Like I said, do yourself a favor and half the fish sauce, unless you really like fish sauce then go right ahead and use the whole amount.  I really should have bookmarked the website I got this from because now I can't for the life of me find it.  I think it was on the Cooking Light Website but I can't find it now.


Anyway, for my dinner I have to congratulate myself for steering clear of the desserts.  I ate roast, half a potato, salad, and splurged on a dinner roll.
I know I'm not supposed to be eating carbs for dinner (the bread roll) but it was either that or eat the amazing desserts that were on display, so I chose the lesser of two evils.  My total calories came in today at 1,478 which I think is really good!  I'm starting to get the hang of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment