Monday, July 20, 2015

Happy Birthday To Me

The best day of the year!  I am officially 28 years old.  Two more years until I hit the big 3-0.  Today as planned I took the kids up to the aquarium.  This morning I scrambled up some eggs in some coconut oil and added the remainder of my sweet potato and russet potato hash as my vegetable side.  I also put a bunch of home made salsa over my eggs.  I was trying to eat up the leftover salsa but failed to use it all, so it looks like there are more salsa and eggs in my future.  Which is fine the only thing is that I couldn't get the onion and garlic taste out of my mouth for hours.  I packed a chicken salad for lunch with vegetables and the rest of the dates.  I made the chicken salad with coconut cream instead of mayonnaise and it turned out really good!  I just ate it plain without any bread and it was perfect as it was.  I only wish I had remembered to bring a fork.  But alas, I ended up eating it with my fingers.  Oh well, no harm done.

The kids were super excited to go to the aquarium.
They really enjoyed looking at all the fish.  Some of the things the kids were really looking forward to were seeing the seahorses, sharks and jellyfish.  However, halfway through the aquarium we saw this!
Mermaids!  Well that stole the show for the kids and they were not really interested in much else after that.  All they wanted to do was see the mermaids.  The aquarium puts on a show about every thirty minutes.  The actors were great, they were doing lots of back flips and spins in the water and I was just wondering how they keep from getting water up their nose.  The mermaids would swim to the top and then back flip back under the water and wave to all the kids and put their hands on the glass, and make a heart with their hands and play in the sand at the bottom.  They had a little skit too that had audio with it.  So the actors would mouth their parts under the water and act it out so it looked like the mermaids were actually speaking to the audience.  It was pretty cool.  They were swimming in a real exhibit so there were stingrays, fish and turtles in the tank with them.  The kids were captivated.

When we got to the end of the aquarium exhibits that is where the sharks were and the jellyfish which we watched for a little bit but I think the kids were getting tired and besides after the mermaids the rest of the ordinary aquatic life just wasn't as cool I guess because they didn't stay very long.  The very last thing was a big pool where you could pet the stingrays, which the kids loved.  After that we found a table and ate lunch.  Right as we were finishing lunch we were in for a surprise:
The mermaids came out for a photo shoot!  That would be a super cool job.  I of course would never be able to do it, those girls were super skinny and were picture perfect mermaids.  No stretch marks or saggy skin and I'm sure those fish tails are pretty snug too.  Anyway, the mermaids were very pretty and very friendly.  I'm glad that they were there because it made the trip just perfect for the kids and so much more magical.

After our photo shoot with the mermaids we hit up the gift shop.  I bought a cute t-shirt, a jacket that was on sale and a Christmas present for my younger sister that has a jelly fish on it and says "Don't be Jelly" (don't worry she doesn't read my blog so she won't know).  It was super cute, I was thinking of getting one for myself but felt it was a bit teen-ish for me. 

The kids fell asleep on the trip home.  When we got home I had my typical afternoon slump, but I managed to stay strong even in the face of temptation.  I did want to eat something sweet after all it is my birthday, but I had already prepared for this so I was ok.  We went to Costco later as I didn't want to do all the grocery shopping tomorrow.  It was a tough trip because the kids were pretty tired.  Fortunately we didn't have to get much.  Dinner was leftovers.  I made some new guacamole out of the ripe avocados that needed to be eaten and filled my plate with leftover sides from my side making mania a few days ago.  We still have two left to eat, but my reserves are getting low.  After dinner the kids watches Cinderella and I played my piccolo.  I'm practicing a song for Christmas.  I had a great time playing even if my ears were ringing a little from the high pitch notes. 

Well, I made it through day 10, and pretty easily but I was way prepared for today.  I think tomorrow will be harder, but if I keep myself busy I will get by ok.  I just have to make it to the third week!  Tomorrow is a run workout, then out to eat for lunch, and I have to finish the grocery shopping.  I really should fill up that propane tank so we can start using the grill.

1 comment: