Monday, March 10, 2014

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

One of my family's favorite meals is Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.  This is a crock pot recipe and has lots of veggies in it making it very filling.  You can eat plain or serve with rice.  My husband likes it with rice so I always make some rice with it.  Depending on how many calories I have left for the day I will add about half a cup of rice with my meal.  If you have the calories to spare you can serve this with a side of whole wheat bread, or if you want to save the calories, I love to have half a cup of frozen vegetables with 1/2 tsp olive oil and my favorite seasoning (Pampered Chef Cracked Peppercorn and Garlic Rub).

Servings: 6
Calories per serving: 332 (not including rice)
Calories in 1/2 cup rice: 121

Ingredients

1 lb. cooked chicken sausage, sliced
2 cups water
2 boneless, skinless, chicken breast 
1 onion, chopped
1/2 C. green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
16 oz fresh or frozen green beans

Directions
Add all ingredients to crock pot in the order they are listed.  Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours.  Shred chicken with a fork or cut with kitchen shears.  Eat plain or serve with rice

Tips
If you want to make this dish less spicy you can leave out the ground red pepper or you can reduce the red pepper flakes to 1/8th tsp 


No comments:

Post a Comment